It is no secret that many telecom providers are phasing out Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS) lines after the FCC granted relief from the outdated and burdensome regulations applicable to maintaining POTS infrastructure. As a result of the Order, traditional copper lines are no longer being sold at wholesale rates, leaving many small and medium-sized businesses scrambling to find a more affordable replacement for their POTS lines and phone systems. Thankfully, companies like NUSO have solutions that can help! But before we dive into those, let’s talk about why POTS lines are being phased out.
Why are POTS Phones Being Phased Out?
POTS lines are being phased out because they are outdated and less efficient than newer communication technologies like VoIP. Incumbent voice providers were left unable to migrate to next generation voice technologies under the previous regulations. Legacy technologies are unable to handle advanced calling features modern businesses need. With next generation technologies, companies can bundle their voice calling capabilities with other modes of communication like video conferencing, instant messaging, and a whole lot more.
By removing certain regulations on major telecom providers, the FCC is doing two things:
- Allowing certain big-name providers to stop maintaining their degrading copper (POTS) lines.
- Encouraging businesses to turn to more advanced, VoIP-based solutions so everyone can communicate with the same level of clarity and reliability.
Option 1: Transition to UCaaS, a Cloud-Based Communication Solution
Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS), is a cloud-based enterprise communication solution that transmits voice and data over the internet. There are a plethora of advantages to using UCaaS:
- More Integrations. UCaaS is a bundled communications solution with voice calling and other modes of communication, such as
instant messaging and video conferencing. Bundling these communication services into one UCaaS solution helps businesses focus on their customers, and not how to communicate across multiple platforms.
- Flexible. With a UCaaS solution, businesses can easily add or remove phone lines as their needs change. It also allows for remote work since its features are accessible from anywhere.
- Feature-rich. UCaaS has many advanced features that traditional phone systems don’t, like call forwarding, voicemail transcription, video conferencing, and more. These features can help increase a company’s productivity and efficiency.
- Secure. Calls sent over IP networks are highly encrypted, making it difficult for hackers to intercept or eavesdrop on conversations.
- Cost-Effective. Because UCaaS calls are transmitted over the internet, businesses can ditch their expensive hardware!
Option 2: Keep Current POTS Phones & Upgrade POTS Lines with SIP Trunks
One of the advantages of SIP trunks is that they allow businesses to continue using their existing POTS phones. SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) trunks are a flexible and cost-effective way for businesses to transition from traditional POTS lines to a modern cloud-based technology.
SIP trunks also offer other benefits over traditional POTS lines, such as:
- Cost savings. SIP trunks are typically less expensive than traditional POTS lines, as they eliminate the need for expensive hardware and equipment.
- Enhanced Features. Leverage local, long-distance, and toll-free calling through a single connection. E-911, CNAM, Directory listing, and more are available.
- Scalability. SIP trunks can be easily scaled up or down to meet the changing needs of a business, making it easier to add or remove lines as needed.
- Failover. Having built-in failover keeps your business answering calls even when there are disruptions to the traditional phone network!
What You Can Do to Prepare
First – don’t worry! Switching from POTS lines doesn’t have to be challenging. Especially if you partner with NUSO.
NUSO’s communication services can work with both on-premise and cloud-based phone systems to bridge the gap as businesses transition from POTs lines. Our team can also replace old phone lines with digital ones (i.e., SIP trunks) that have extra features, better support, and cost less to maintain.
If you want to fully transition your customers to a better phone system, talk to one of our representatives today!